GS Trophy 2022 Qualifier
Having won the last three International GS Trophies - New Zealand 2020, Mongolia 2018 and Thailand 2016 – as well as placing second at Canada 2014 and here at home in 2010, there’s no disputing that South Africa has the best GS riders in the world.
Now, having built a reputation as the team to beat, you’re invited to make history and add to our legacy at International GS Trophy 2022 in Albania.
If you’re passionate about seeking new experiences, exploring new territories and sharing how you #MakeLifeARide – then we want you!
That’s right, we’re looking for five riders to represent Team South Africa and the #SpiritofGS.
Competitors will be tested on riding skill and technique, at intermediate off road riding level.
Tests will include the display of riding skill and technique, fitness, mental capability, mechanical skill and teamwork.
Conditions of Participation
- Any qualifying owner of a GS who holds a valid driving license and is in general good health can participate in the events.
- Any competitor will be eligible to participate in a maximum of two Regional Qualifiers.
- Owning a racing license excludes the participant from competing to sustain the amateur nature of the event.
- Any riding instructors and leadership riders are excluded from participation. The spirit of the GS Trophy is to reward the “normal” customer and loyal supporter.
- Only SA residents and residents from neighbouring countries, Namibia, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho, and Mozambique are allowed to compete.
- Competitors holding passports other than ZA can participate as guests but will not be in the ranking.
- The top 3 riders of each region and selected female riders commit to attend the GS Trophy SA event to compete for a place in the National Teams as detailed.
- If a rider participates in two events, the ranking for the best of the two will count towards competing in the National Qualifier.
- Only GS bikes in a technically sound condition, with correctly operating exhaust systems will be allowed in the event.
- Bikes must be registered and roadworthy.
- The rider must be a GS owner and take part with their own bike. Should the bike be out of action or unavailable at the time of the event, the rider may, with prior permission, use a borrowed bike. Proof of ownership must be presented at request of the organizers.
- Only GS models with a capacity of 650cc or more can be used, excluding X-Challenge models.
Appropriate helmet, gloves, boots, protective clothing for extreme off-road conditions. These must always be worn whilst operating the motorcycle.
- A fee for the event will be charged to cover the costs of the event.
- Full fee is payable at the time of registration.
- Cancellation more than 14 days prior to the event – 10% of payment will be forfeited. Thereafter no refunds will be done.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and accommodation bookings, and the costs associated therewith.
- The judges’ decision is final, and they will not enter into any correspondence or discussion.
- Rider safety and enjoyment are of prime concern while taking part in the GS Trophy Qualifiers.
- No consumption of alcohol is allowed while the event is in progress.
- All photos and videos taken during the event are the property of BMW Motorrad, and the participant agrees to such media being distributed and published at the sole discretion of BMW Motorrad.
Riders who have represented SA in a previous International GS Trophy may not participate.
The following individuals are not entitled to take part in the International GS Trophy 2022 and qualifying events:
- Staff members of BMW AG and BMW SA,
- Proprietors and employees of a BMW dealership,
- Instructors, riders in leadership positions and tour guides,
- Holders of any motorcycle racing license.
- Previous off-road training is highly recommended for successful participation.
- Attendance of locally organised practice sessions is encouraged.
- Sponsorship for riders is encouraged, especially from BMW Retailers and other partners.